Wasabi Soy Marinated Tuna Bowl
Wasabi Soy marinade for Tuna
- 300g Medium grain rice or sushi rice
- 400ml Water
- 400g Fillet of tuna, sashimi grade
- Garnish** – e.g. Spring onion, finely chopped, sesame, nori etc.
Sushi marinade for Rice
- 6 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 4 Tbs Mirin(Japanese sweet sake)
- 4 Tbs Cooking Sake
- 1 tsp Wasabi paste
- 60ml Rice vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbs Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- maybe substituted by 75ml of pre-mixed sushi vinegar
Spring onion, finely sliced
Shiso(perilla) leaves, shredded to 2mm thin strips
Nori sheet, cut to 2mm thin strips
Sesami seed, toasted
Cucumber, thinly sliced
1. Cut tuna into 5mm slices and put them in a container.
2. Heat up mirin and sake in a small pan so alcohol content will be cooked off. Add soy sauce to the pan and bring it to boil. Set aside to cool. Once cooled to room temperature, mix wasabi paste in.
3. Pour 2/3 of the marinade over the sliced tuna and marinade in a fridge for 30min to 1 hour. Set aside the remaining marinade for later.
4. Put all ingredients for sushi marinade into a small bowl and mix well until sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
5. Cook rice. While it’s hot, coat the cooked rice with the sushi marinade with a serving spoon or a rice paddle in a cutting motion so that you do not mash the rice. Set aside to cool.
6. Divide sushi rice into 4 serving bowls and top with marinated tuna. Pour the remaining 1/3 wasabi soy marinade over tuna. Sprinkle with spring onion or your chosen garnish.